On behalf of the good
WBGU Co-Chair Dirk Messner on the new Sustainable Development Goals
The United Nations recently published the catalogue of the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). WBGU-Co Chair Dirk Messner explains in an interview how important it is to take into account the limits of the Earth system in implementing these goals. In detail, the following planetary guard rails should be complied with:
• Limit global warming to 2°C – to avoid irreversible climatic consequences, and limit ocean acidification to 0.2 pH units – to keep the marine environment intact.
• Stop the loss of biodiversity and ecosystem services – to protect the natural life-support systems.
• Stop land and soil degradation – in order not to jeopardize global food production.
• Limit the risks posed by long-lived and harmful anthropogenic substances.
• Stop the loss of phosphorus – since this element is the limiting factor in food production.
WBGU-Co Chair John Schellnhuber
Heads of state or government will address the issue of climate finance at the G20 summit on 15./16. November 2015 in Antalya. In an interview WBGU-Co Chair John Schellnhuber highlights the importance of the divestment movement. Divestment describes the withdrawal of investments (stocks, funds or bonds) from the fossil fuel sector. These assets can then be reinvested in sustainable sectors.